The Ottawa River Runners offers winter pool sessions each year so that members can keep their skills sharp, and practice skills year-round. Sessions are typically held at the Carleton University Pool, and may require advance reservation of spaces. Unless otherwise indicated, sessions are ‘open’ or uncoached, and members work on their skills with friends or sometimes play some friendly kayak polo. Some programs are offered in the pool, including kids sessions and rolling clinics. Please inquire if you are interested in a particular type of program, as we schedule them based on demand.
Pool Sessions 2021
The pool that we have booked is the Carleton University pool (the shallow end) and the timeslots are Saturday evenings.
There is boat storage available on the pool deck. There is now a cost for parking at the Carleton Athletics Facility on weekends, $4/day.
COVID Protocols for 2021
- Carleton University custodians will be taking extra care to sanitize all high touch areas throughout the facility.
- All ORR participants should adhere to recommendations for Being Active During COVID-19 from Ottawa Public Health and the WISE principles:
W– wear a mask of race covering in common areas, and may be removed for kayaking/canoeing.
I– Isolate yourself from others when you are sick (and get tested promptly if you have covid like symptoms).
S– Stay two meters apart from those outside your household.
E– Exercise proper hand hygiene by washing/sanitizing hands regularly.
Specific ORR pool guidelines:
- Masks are mandatory in all areas of the pool area, and can be removed prior to entering water with boat. Please bring a gym bag/jacket to side of pool to store mask while in water. Please wear mask again as pool is exited (locker/parking lot areas).
- A limited number of kayaks, paddles and spray decks will be available to use. Please disinfect ORR gear after use by wiping down with disinfectant. Participants may bring their own gear to use in pool. (please contact organizer if you would like to use ORR kayak/gear).
- Be mindful of maintaining 2 meter distance while in pool. Members of the same household may be closer to assist with rolling practice.
- Use of swim goggles is highly recommended for rolling practice.
- Showers, saunas, and lockers are CLOSED. Paddlers are asked to shower at home before the pool session. Come wearing your swimsuit to minimize time in change room.
- Bring clothes/valuables to the pool deck in a gym bag and place in designated areas.
- Enter/Exit the facility from emergency exit only.
- Participants will be sent a covid screening form the day of the pool session.
The ORR has booked 1 open sessions this winter. This session is open to members and non-members, and are done on a drop-in basis. Typically paddlers come to get some boat time in, practice rolling
, and there is sometimes a kayak polo game! If you are planning to attend several sessions and would like to store your boat at the pool, you can bring your boat on the first evening and then leave it with the rest of the ORR equipment. The pool staff ask that boats be clean of leaves and dirt, and that we bring them in through the external entrance (not through the change rooms). The schedule and pricing are below.
Schedule (all Saturday evenings)
March 27 6:30pm – 7:45pm
April 3 6:15pm – 7:30pm – Registration Form
Other dates in March/April- TBD
Registration is by Google Form using the links above beside the date and not via Zone4. There are a limited number of spots available (~15) so if you are interested, make sure you register soon. After the registration cap, the form will not accept further registrations.
Contact Chris Goodall (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have additional questions. Keep an eye out for emails or watch social media for more information.
Fees for Winter Pool Open Sessions
s$15 /session for members ($20 non-members) for 1.5hr sessions. Priority for sessions will be given to club members and the price will be reduced by $5 if the attendance is higher than 8/session.
Payment accepted by cash, cheque or eTransfer (send to email@example.com). Registration is just informal and not via Zone4.
Youth and Slalom Kayak Development Group Pool Programs
Contact us or WO for more information.
ORR/WO Minnows Pool Program
Pool sessions for this program are not available in 2021.
Info coming very soon – will be on the same evenings as the Open Sessions Enquire about joining part way through the program if interested.
Club Membership required. (2019 membership still valid for Dec-Mar 2020 pool sessions).
If you are currently not a club member and wanting to take these pool sessions, please enquire about the discount available.