The Ottawa River Runners offers winter pool sessions each year so that members can keep their skills sharp, and practice skills year-round. Sessions are typically held at the Carleton University Pool, and may require advance reservation of spaces. Unless otherwise indicated, sessions are ‘open’ or uncoached, and members work on their skills with friends or sometimes play some friendly kayak polo. Some programs are offered in the pool, including kids sessions and rolling clinics. Please inquire if you are interested in a particular type of program, as we schedule them based on demand.
Pool Sessions 2022
We have booked the shallow end of the Carleton University pool for a number of Saturday evening time slots starting January 8, 2022. Sessions are 1.5 hours in length from 6:10 – 7:40 pm.
A club membership is required to attend and 2021 memberships are valid until March 32, 2022. Memberships for the 2022 season will also be accepted. If you are not currently a club member and want to participate, please contact email@example.com.
There is now a cost for parking at the Carleton Athletics Facility on weekends, $4/day.
COVID Protocols for 2022
~ This section will be regularly updated to reflect the latest policies at the University ~
At all times, Carleton University’s COVID-19 policies must be followed for any ORR members participating in Winter Pool Sessions.
The University has adopted Ontario’s double vaccination mandate policy as Wednesday, September 22, 2021. The Provincial policy mandates that all clients need to be fully vaccinated with 2-doses in order to access any of Carleton University’s facilities.
No coaches, kayakers or observers that are 12 years of age and older will be admitted into the facility if they have received only 1 vaccine dose.
All client/visitors to Carleton 12 years and older, must create a visitors account in Carleton’s cuScreen system, upload pdf proof of 2-vaccinations, complete a Screening Self-Assessment each day before coming to campus and then use the Alumni Hall QR Code with their phone to confirm building access.
Please go to cuScreen to setup accounts. The code below is needed by visitors setting-up accounts.
Visitor Registration Code: CARLETONU-VISITOR
You might find the link below helpful:
If you experience any difficulties using this system, this email address is recommended: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Presently, swimmers Under 12 (or a parent/guardian) are required to complete the Aquatics Under 12 Screening Form prior to each booking. Under 12 swimmers DO NOT use cuScreen.
However, the University may adopt a vaccination mandate for children between the ages of 5 – 11 to get their 1st vaccination prior to the first session in January.
This section will be updated with the latest information the University provides ORR about their policies.
Additionally, all ORR participants should adhere to the latest guidance from Ottawa Public Health and follow the WISE principles:
W– wear a mask of race covering in common areas, and may be removed for kayaking/canoeing.
I– Isolate yourself from others when you are sick (and get tested promptly if you have covid like symptoms).
S– Stay two meters apart from those outside your household.
E– Exercise proper hand hygiene by washing/sanitizing hands regularly.
Specific ORR pool guidelines:
- Masks are mandatory in all areas of the pool area, and can be removed prior to entering water with boat. Please bring a gym bag/jacket to side of pool to store mask while in water. Please wear mask again as pool is exited (locker/parking lot areas).
- A limited number of kayaks, paddles and spray decks will be available to use. Please disinfect ORR gear after use by wiping down with disinfectant. Participants may bring their own gear to use in pool. (please contact organizer if you would like to use ORR kayak/gear).
- Be mindful of maintaining 2 meter distance while in pool. Members of the same household may be closer to assist with rolling practice.
- Use of swim goggles is highly recommended for rolling practice.
- Showers, saunas, and lockers are CLOSED. Paddlers are asked to shower at home before the pool session. Come wearing your swimsuit to minimize time in change room.
- Bring clothes/valuables to the pool deck in a gym bag and place in designated areas.
- Enter/Exit the facility from emergency exit only.
- Participants will be sent a covid screening form the day of the pool session.
The ORR has booked 6 open sessions this winter. Typically paddlers come to get some boat time in and practice rolling.
If you are planning on attending a number of sessions and would like to store your boat at the pool, you can bring your boat on the first evening and then leave it with the rest of the ORR equipment.
Pool staff ask that boats be clean of leaves and dirt, and that we bring them in through the external entrance (not through the change rooms). The schedule and pricing are below.
Schedule (all Saturday evenings)
January 8 from 6:10 pm – 7:40 pm – Cancelled since Ontario moved to Modified Step Two January 22 from 6:10 pm – 7:40 pm – Cancelled since Ontario moved to Modified Step Two
- February 5 from 6:10 pm – 7:40 pm
- February 26 from 6:10 pm – 7:40 pm
- March 12 from 6:10 pm – 7:40 pm
- April 2 from 6:10 pm – 7:40 pm
- April 16 from 6:10 pm – 7:40 pm
Fees for Winter Pool Open Sessions 2022
Registration was limited to those club members who are interested in signing up for all 6 1.5hr sessions and all the spots sold out.
The cost is $85.
Due to COVID, there can be no more than 16 people in the pool and all participants must adhere to Carleton’s policies.
Individual sessions time slots may be offered prior to each session on an as-required basis. The fee structure will be similar to previous years detailed below. Sign-up forms will be added to the website closer to each session date. $15 /session for members ($20 non-members) for 1.5hr sessions. Priority for sessions will be given to club members and the price will be reduced by $5 if the attendance is higher than 8/session. Payment accepted by cash, cheque or eTransfer (send to email@example.com). Registration is just informal and not via Zone4.
Youth and Slalom Kayak Development Group Pool Programs
Coached sessions are sold out for 2022.
Coached sessions are available on the following dates:
January 15 from 6:10 pm – 7:40 pm – Cancelled since Ontario moved to Modified Step Two January 29 from 6:10 pm – 7:40 pm – Cancelled since Ontario moved to Modified Step Two
- February 12 from 6:10 pm – 7:40 pm
- March 5 from 6:10 pm – 7:40 pm
- March 26 from 6:10 pm – 7:40 pm
- April 9 from 6:10 pm – 7:40 pm
- April 23 from 6:10 pm – 7:40 pm
- April 30 from 6:10 pm – 7:40 pm
Registration was limited to club members who previously took a coached course through ORR, Whitewater Ontario or Canoe Kayak Canada. The cost for 6 x 1.5hr sessions that is $175 and coaching will be provided by either Olympian Cameron Smedley or Michael Tayler.
Minnows Pool Program
Younger paddles are welcome at Open Sessions.